Friday, September 9, 2011

Is God safe?

Recently I was afraid of something that could possibly happen. Discussing how I should handle it with friends I asked, "Why would the Lord put me in a possibly dangerous situation?"
They just laughed and told me to ask that of all the people who had been martyred for Christ. At that point I had to laugh too because my situation was nowhere near as dire as theirs had been. And I might add that it didn't even end up happening - so my fears were wasted.

However that conversation came to mind when in the sermon this Lord's day Pastor reminded us that -
God is good,
God is gracious,
God is merciful,
but God is not safe.

That made me think of this section from the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when the children are asking about Aslan:

Lion Portrait ("Malik")
“Is Aslan quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion.”
“That you will dearie, and no mistake,” said Mrs. Beaver. “If there’s anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they’re....just plain silly.”
“Then he isn’t safe?” said Lucy.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? Of course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”

  

Things may not turn out how I want them to. But I know whatever He does it will be best. He is good and we can trust Him. The Lord is calling me to keep my eyes on Him, to wait on Him, to trust, to obey. As Matthew Henry says:

"Those know enough who know how to fear God, who are careful in every thing to please him and fearful of offending him in any thing; this is the Alpha and Omega of knowledge." 

However let me just say what I do not mean by this. I don't mean to say the Lord doesn't love us, doesn't keep His promises, doesn't take care of His people. What I do mean is that there's no guarantee that the Christian life is going to be easy, there's no promise of a happily ever after fairy tale ending here on earth. He does promise though that goodness and mercy are following me all the days of my life, and that He won't ask me to go anywhere that He won't go with me - so it's my job to believe that- even when I can't see or feel it.

Another thought that I had on this was that if we truly feared and trusted the Lord the way we are supposed to as Christians - then there wouldn't be the need to fear other things. And as I've said so many times before....I'm talking at myself here. I've spent too much time in my life worrying and being afraid of things I shouldn't be. And there are my thoughts for today......I hope you all have a good day!

Sharing with Imperfect Prose,
and Wednesday Window.






Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1