Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Lord is my shepherd....

“He shall feed his flock like a shepherd.” 
Isaiah 40:11 


Flock of Sheep
When I was at the Conference in August I read through a book of devotional sermons off of the book table, Everlasting Love by Murdoch Campbell that was encouraging and comforting. Afterwards I wished I had bought it, as I think it's out of print......so as you can imagine I was happy to find it available to read online (along with lots of other good things - this is a site to bookmark!). I read this particular sermon again last night and wanted to share part of it with you all as well as a link for the rest of the sermon.

"....Think of the sympathy and love of the Shepherd toward His flock. In the natural world the shepherd, however tender and faithful, cannot understand how the weary or enfeebled sheep or lamb may feel in the way. There may be a hidden instinctive pain of which the shepherd can know nothing. This is so because they belong to two different dimensions of existence. There is a fundamental difference of nature. Our Lord, however, has a human nature as well as the Divine. He is, therefore, touched with a feeling of our infirmities. “In all their afflictions He was afflicted.” In this world He was “a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.” “Surely He hath borne our griefs and carried our sorrows.” 

His sympathy with His afflicted people is, therefore, very real. He has passed through all our sorrows. Although in Him was no sin, all our weaknesses, perplexities, trials and hidden griefs were in His cup. Our tears and our wounded spirits touch him as they cannot touch our nearest friends on earth. His people are the apple of His eye. He knows our frame. He knows our enemies. He knows our burdens. 

He also knows that many of our sufferings are due to our attachment to Him, and to His cause in this world. “For thy sake are we killed all the day, we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.” One wonder of His care over us is the way He adapts Himself to our personal states. He leadeth gently those that are with young. He carries the lambs to His bosom. He applies His balm to the hurts of those who suffer for His sake. When they are ready to halt He gives them rest. “As a beast goeth down into the valley the Spirit of the Lord caused them to rest; so didst thou lead thy people to make thyself a glorious name.” (Isaiah 63). How sweet to know then that nothing will ever emerge in our lives but He is ever beside each one of us. “The Lord is my Shepherd.” “I will fear no evil for Thou art with me.”

 Sharing with A Holy Experience, and LACE.





Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1