Monday, October 3, 2011

A letter.....

Letters


My Dear and Worthy Sister,

You are truly blessed in the Lord, however a sour world gloom and frown on you, if you continue in the faith settled and grounded, and be not moved away from the hope of the Gospel. It is good that there is a heaven, and it is not a night-dream and a fancy. It is a wonder that men deny not there is a heaven, as they deny there is any to it but of men’s making. You have learned of Christ that there is a heaven; contend for it and for Christ. Bear well and submissively the hard thrust of this stepmother world, which God will not have to be yours. I confess it is hard, and, would to God, I were able to lighten your burden; but believe me, this world which the Lord will not have to be yours, is but the dross, refuse, and scum of God’s creation, the portion of the Lord’s poor hired servants...it is your Father’s blessing and Christ’s birthright that our Lord is keeping for you; and persuade yourself also that (if it be good for them and you) your seed also shall inherit the earth, for that is promised to them, and God’s bond is as good as if He would give very one of them a bond for thousand thousands.

Ere you were born crosses in number, measure and weight, were written for you; and your Lord will lead you through them. Make Christ sure, and the world and the blessings of the earth shall be at Christ’s back and beck...Therefore, make fast work; see that Christ be the ground-stone of your profession. The sore wind and rain will not wash away His building; His work hath no less date than to stand evermore. I should twenty times have perished in my affliction, if I had not laid my weak back and pressing burden, both, upon the Stone, the Corner-stone laid in Zion. Now the God of peace establish you to the day of the appearance of Jesus Christ.
Yours,
Samuel Rutherford
(which happens to be one of my favorite books:-)

Sharing with Graceful , Soli Deo Gloria,Women of Noble Character,  Hearts For Home,
and Hearts and Home.





Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1