Monday, October 10, 2011

Lord's day thoughts....

Today's thoughts are somewhat random...which is what happens when I become sleep deprived....From time to time there are Lord's days where I'm tempted to want to just stay in bed, and after all my traveling this past weekend that was how I felt, but was glad I did end up going to church. There really is no better place to be on the Lord's day than at the feet of Jesus with the Lord's people.

First thought was when we sang Psalm 88 which Pastor said was a Psalm for the depressed, miserable Christian to sing. There truly is a Psalm for everyone and for every situation and I'm thankful for that, and that Jesus knew that kind of darkness, that He can sympathize with all of our weaknesses.

"But unto thee have I cried, O LORD; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent thee.
 LORD, why castest thou off my soul? why hidest thou thy face from me?
 I am afflicted and ready to die from my youth up: while I suffer thy terrors I am distracted."

Then in our morning sermon on Luke 23 I was helped by the reminder that the crucifixion seems like foolishness, injustice, hopeless, but in reality the Lord used it to bring about something wonderful.....which can also be true of our overwhelming, painful, or difficult circumstances.  We can't see how good can come from them, but God can bring beauty from ashes. I'm afraid I'm often guilty of limiting God when I look at things going on around me so that was a good reminder.
"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."

In our afternoon sermon on 1 Samuel 17 I was inspired by what Pastor said on the young David, that he was submissive to his authorities, and faithful in all things - wouldn't it be nice to have that said of you? The other thing that stood out to me in this sermon, though there was much more I'm not going into here, was in David's looking back on his past history of how the Lord had helped him, encouraging himself in the Lord, as he prepared to face Goliath.





Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1