Friday, October 28, 2011

My passion...

When I saw Young Ladies Christian Fellowship was holding a link up I definitely wanted to join in as their blog is one of my favorites of all the blogs that I follow! The topic was  -  

What is it that you love so much you’d do it regardless of whether or not it was your job?  What is your all-consuming hobby?  What is your passion? 

Out of curiosity I asked different friends what they thought my passion was and got some interesting answers. It can be fascinating to find out what others around you think you are thinking....ok, I hope you followed that last sentence! Suggestions ranged from dairy goats, to babies, to helping friends, to the Puritans, to Psalm singing. The first, goats, was a passion when I was younger and involved in breeding and showing my family's herd, but that part of my life seems to be behind me, and while all the others are important things that I love....I knew they weren't 'it.'

Another I considered was my church. It would probably be the hardest thing in my life to give up, if I had to. It's the reason I live in South Carolina  and has been such a blessing to be in a place where Christ is taught, the people love one another, and the Psalms are sung. I thank the Lord regularly for bringing me to Greenville Presbyterian!

I realized though the more I thought about it that my passion is to serve Christ and to be the woman He wants me to be. Recently in my Matthew Henry reading I came to Proverbs 31 and though I've read this chapter so many times, this time I read from a different perspective thinking about the Lord as my heavenly husband and applying it that way.


"For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called." 
Isaiah 54:5

Below I shared a few thoughts from my reading which were helpful to me. What Christian woman wouldn't want to be these things? I love the encouragement in the last quote I shared - nothing we do for the Lord is done in vain or will be forgotten. Remembering that and all He has done for me how can it not be my passion to serve Him?



"A virtuous woman is a woman of spirit, who has the command of her own spirit and knows how to manage other people's, one that is pious and industrious..... A virtuous woman is a woman of resolution, who, having espoused good principles, is firm and steady to them, and will not be frightened with winds and clouds from any part of her duty."


"...this is her care all the days of her life; not at first only, or now and then, when she is in a good humor, but perpetually; and she is not weary of the good offices she does him: She does him good, not only all the days of his life, but of her own too."



"She is one that takes pains in the duty of her place and takes pleasure in it. This part of her character is much enlarged upon here. She hates to sit still and do nothing: She eats not the bread of idleness."



"In her tongue is the law of grace, or mercy (so some read it), understanding it of the word and law of God, which she delights to talk of. She is full of pious religious discourse, and manages it prudently, which shows how full her heart is of another world even when her hands are most busy about this world."


"She has the comfort and satisfaction of her virtue in her own mind: Strength and honor are her clothing, in which she wraps herself, that is, enjoys herself, and in which she appears to the world, and so recommends herself. She enjoys a firmness and constancy of mind, has spirit to bear up under the many crosses and disappointments which even the wise and virtuous must expect to meet with in this world; and this is her clothing, for defense as well as decency. She deals honorably with all, and she has the pleasure of doing so, and shall rejoice in time to come; she shall reflect upon it with comfort, when she comes to be old, that she was not idle or useless when she was young. In the day of death it will be a pleasure to her to think that she has lived to some good purpose. Nay, she shall rejoice in an eternity to come; she shall be recompensed for her goodness with fulness of joy and pleasures for evermore."

A Peek Into Your Passion at ylcf.org


Sharing with 31 Days of Femininityand Imperfect Prose.




Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1