Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Randomness.....


 Last Lord's day evening I joined a number of church friends at the Es for dinner and fellowship. As always it was an enjoyable evening filled with good conversation, laughing, Psalm singing, and family worship together. Mr E brought up an interesting question for us which led to an involved discussion, "If you could be a fly on the wall in any scene in the Bible, which would you choose, and why?" (the why is always the hard part!). We had answers ranging from being at the creation, to the parting of the Red Sea, to being at the threshing floor with Ruth and Boaz.......I chose the time where Jesus was at the home of Martha, Mary, and Lazarus, and Mary was sitting at his feet. Not very dramatic, but I would love to see him in a private setting with friends He loved, and hear what was being said. If you have a scene you would love to see, share it in the comments section!

Before I go I want to share a few links to blog posts that have blessed me recently and I hope will encourage you too.

This one from Young Ladies Christian Fellowship, on An Ordinary Life. By the way this is one of my top favorite blogs I follow, if you're not reading I recommend checking them out! The post is encouraging and helpful to woman leading ordinary lives, doing normal every day jobs, every day.....


“I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.” -Helen Keller


It is not for us to measure the success of our lives by the standard of another woman’s life work. We cannot compare our work with theirs for God has made each one of us for a purpose all our own. Even the most humble, obscure and quietly lived life, has beautiful purpose. No life that is lived for God is ever lived in vain. In the middle of our ordinary lives, we can find that passion is not always in doing something great, but sometimes it is the small passion of making the most of this moment, of this day that is ours, and we can discover that there is nothing ordinary after all."





Then this one from A Holy Experience, When It's Hard, which is another of my favorite blogs. I always make time to read her posts....this one was read while I ate my lunch yesterday:-) It's all about giving thanks in trouble, when there doesn't seem to be anything to be thankful for at first glance.....

It is a good thing to be without a trouble; but it is a better thing to have a trouble, and know how to get grace enough to bear it.”  
 

Last of all this one. It's from Graceful Mama, and this post is the first one of hers I've ever read, so I can't tell you a lot about her blog, but I plan to go back and read more:-). It's titled How to Battle Discontent with Thankfulness. and will probably make you go, "ouch," but is definitely worth reading. Another thing I enjoyed about this post was that she has a mother's helper whom they included in their family picture, and said she was part of the family - I know all about the blessing of having a 'second family' in that way:-).
A couple thoughts from the post.....

1. Never allow yourself to complain about anything, not even the weather.

2. Never picture yourself in a different circumstance or someplace else.

3. Never compare your lot with the lot of another.

4. Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
5. Never dwell on tomorrow.  Remember it is God’s, and not ours.
And, to this I would add,
6. Choose to be thankful for exactly where you are and exactly what you have.
How would our lives look if we really chose to do this? What things have you learned to help you battle discontent? Let’s talk!



I hope everyone has a good day!






Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1