Thursday, October 20, 2011

Remembering to ask....

"Ye have not, because ye ask not."
James 4:2

[057/365] Pilgrim's ProgressI was reading in Pilgrim's Progress the other night and this section below struck me and made me think about the verse from James that I shared above. How often do we not have things because we don't ask, how often do we not even know what we should ask for, or when we have 'the thing' we want, do we ask for the Lord's blessing on it, and for Him to allow us to keep it? Those of you who have read the story know that after a guide is requested, GreatHeart (who symbolizes a pastor) is sent to guide the women to the Celestial City. Have you ever prayed for a godly pastor to guide you? If you have one, do you thank the Lord for him, and pray for him?

I'm glad though that even when we fail in praying as we should that these verses from Romans are true, and to know that Jesus is praying for us. I'm also thankful that there are blessings in my life that I never thought to pray for, but the Lord was good and gave them to me. It's humbling to realize that even though we deserve nothing He gives us good gifts. As always I'm talking at myself too in this post!

"Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God."
Romans 8:26-27

"....So, after a few more words, this Reliever said as followeth: "I marveled much, when you were entertained at the gate above, seeing ye knew that ye were but weak women, that you petitioned not the Lord for a conductor; then might you have avoided these troubles and dangers; for he would have granted you one."

"Alas!" said Christiana, "we were so taken with our present blessing, that dangers to come were forgotten by us. Besides, who could have thought, that so near the King’s palace there could have lurked such naughty ones? Indeed, it had been well for us had we asked our Lord for one; but since our Lord knew it would be for our profit, I wonder he sent not one along with us."

Reliever: "It is not always necessary to grant things not asked for, lest by so doing they become of little esteem; but when the want of a thing is felt, it then comes under, in the eyes of him that feels it, that estimate that properly is its due, and so consequently will be thereafter used. Had my Lord granted you a conductor, you would not either so have bewailed that oversight of yours, in not asking for one, as now you have occasion to do. So all things work for good, and tend to make you more wary."

Christiana: "Shall we go back again to my Lord, and confess our folly, and ask one?"

Reliever: "Your confession of your folly I will present him with. To go back again, you need not, for in all places where you shall come, you will find no want at all; for in every one of my Lord’s lodgings, which he has prepared for the reception of his pilgrims, there is sufficient to furnish them against all attempts whatsoever. But, as I said, He will be inquired of by them, to do it for them.  And ‘tis a poor thing that is not worth asking for. When he had thus said, he went back to his place, and the pilgrims went on their way."

"Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will yet for this be enquired of by the house of Israel, to do it for them."

Ezekiel 36:37a







Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1