Monday, October 31, 2011

Staying in the light....

lampost at night
Today I'm sharing a repost from almost two years ago. While it was originally written on the subject of praying, the reason it was on my mind and I decided to share is that today is a day where so many are celebrating darkness, so I love how in this story we are drawn to look to the light of Christ and see Him in all we are doing through the day. 








"A number of ministers were assembled in the home of one of them for the discussion of difficult questions, and it was asked how the command to “PRAY WITHOUT CEASING” could be complied with. Various suppositions were stated; and at length one of the number was appointed to write an essay upon it to be read at the next meeting; which being overheard by a plain sensible servant girl exclaimed,


 “What! a whole month waiting to tell the meaning of that text? It is one of the easiest and best texts in the Bible.

“Well, well,” said an old minister. “Mary, what can you say about it? Let us know how you understand it. Can you pray all the time?


“Oh, yes sir!”
“What, when you have so many things to do?”

“Why, sir, the more I have to do, the more I can pray”

“Indeed! Well, Mary, do let us know how it is; for most people think otherwise.”



“Why sir,” said the girl, “when I first open my eyes in the morning, I pray that the Lord open the eyes of my understanding; and while I am dressing I pray that I may be clothed with the robe of Christ’s righteousness; and when I have washed me, I pray for the washing of regeneration; and as I begin to work, I pray that I may have strength equal to my day; and when I begin to kindle the fire, I pray that God’s work may revive in my soul; and as I sweep out the house, I pray that my heart may be cleansed from all its impurities; and while preparing and partaking of my breakfast, I desire and pray to be fed with the hidden manna, and the sincere milk of the Word; and as I am busy with the little children, I look up to God as my reconciled Father in Christ, and pray for the Spirit of adoption that I may know myself more assuredly as His child; and so on all day; everything I do furnishes me with a thought for prayer.”


“Enough, enough!” exclaimed the old divine, “These things are revealed to babes, and often hid from the wise and prudent. Go on, Mary, pray without ceasing; and as for us, my brethren, let us bless the Lord, for this wonderful practical exposition, and remember that He has said, “The meek will he guide in judgment.”

After this, the essay was considered unnecessary."

"Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18




Sharing with Soli Deo GloriaTitus 2sdays, Far Above Rubies, Women Living Well, Raising Homemakers, LACE, A Holy Experience, Women in the Word, Women of Noble Character, Encouraging One Another, Proverbs 31 Thursdays,  Teach Me Tuesdays, and Sharing the Journey



Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1