Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Feeling thankful...


This is an edited repost from last fall. It being November again, thankfulness is on my  mind and you'll  see a lot of blog posts on the topic this month, Lord willing, as I want the theme of my blog to be 'a month of giving thanks'. I had hoped to do this last November, but it didn't happen so I look forward to sharing this year and hopefully finding many blessings to be thankful for. Just keep in mind that as always I'm talking most of all at myself.....


Today I'm thinking about feeling thankful. So often it's tempting to wait to do something till we feel it, or to excuse bad behavior in ourselves because of feelings. How many times have thoughts like these crossed your mind?


"It's ok that I was impatient with the children - I have a lot on my mind and am very stressed."

"I was up sick all last night, I'm exhausted, so it's ok if I complain and don't have the best attitude."

Or, "he was unkind to me, so I don't really need to make an effort to be nice to him....."


You get the idea. In the same way it's easy to wait to give thanks because I don't feel very thankful. I love how the Bible doesn't say we have to feel it to do it, rather there are so many verses where it talks about the sacrifice of praise - I take that as meaning we may not want to, and it won't always be easy to do! But we can choose to be thankful and that is pleasing to the Lord - in fact it pleases Him more than any other sacrifice (Psalm 69). Below I shared a few verses on this that I found. I hope they encourage you to give thanks today.




"Therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD."  
Psalm 27:6


"I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving. This also shall please the LORD better than an ox or bullock that hath horns and hoofs. The humble shall see this, and be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God."
Psalm 69:30-32


"Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!  And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing."
Psalm 107:21-22


 "I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the LORD." 
Psalm 116:17


 "Again there shall be heard in this place....the voice of them that shall say, Praise the LORD of hosts: for the LORD is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: and of them that shall bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the LORD."
Jeremiah 33:10-11

"But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD."
Jonah 2:9


"By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased."
Hebrews 13:15-16

Before you go - I'd like to share a wonderful blog post, from one of my favorite blogs, on giving thanks. 

"In the silent times : seek God
In the painful times : praise God
In the harried times : hallow God
and in the terrible times : trust God.
And at all times — at all times –
Thank God"
Ann Voskamp

I hope you all have a blessed day!
Sharing with Thankful Thursday  Thought Provoking Thursday,and Becoming a Strong Woman of God.

Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1