Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Giving thanks....


Now that we've reached November,with Thanksgiving coming up, giving thanks, or rather finding things to give thanks for in  life is on my mind. There truly is so much to be thankful for. My friend Kara wrote a beautiful post on this here that really struck me so this morning among other things I'm thankful for reminders to give thanks, and I'm so thankful for all the promises that I shared below. I hope you all have a good day!


103:365 Give Thanks


"A trembling life destroys the spiritual comforts that flow from God's promises...As no creature-comfort is pleasant so no promise is sweet to those living in bondage to fear. In the living word there are all sorts of refreshing, strengthening, heart reviving promises. By His care and wisdom God provided these for our relief in days of darkness and trouble. 


There are promises of support under the heaviest burdens and pressures:


"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." 
Isaiah 41:10



There are promises of protection:


"I the LORD do keep it; I will water it every moment: lest any hurt it, I will keep it night and day." 
Isaiah 27:3



There are promises of moderation. They enable us to bear the day of sharp affliction.

"But we will not boast of things without our measure, but according to the measure of the rule which God hath distributed to us, a measure to reach even unto you."
 2 Corinthians 10:13


There are promises of deliverance:


"For the rod of the wicked shall not rest upon the lot of the righteous; lest the righteous put forth their hands unto iniquity." 
Psalm 125:3.


There are promises to bless and sanctify our troubles for our good; our troubles not only cease to be hurtful, but they become exceedingly beneficial. These are the most comfortable promises of all.


"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." 
Romans 8:28.



Our tender Father provides all these promises for the days of fear and trouble. Because He knows our weaknesses and how our fear makes us doubt our security, He engages His wisdom, power, faithfulness, and unchangeableness for the performance of His promises. In midst of such promises how cheerful we should be in the worst of times. We should say as David, "Wherefore should I fear in the day of evil?"

By John Flavel



Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1