Thursday, November 10, 2011

What does gratitude mean?

Snowflowers
"....I have been thinking of the Spirit bringing to remembrance past things. Lord, remind me of the mercies, the gifts, the blessings of the past year."
Andrew Bonar


Today I'm joining in at Greathings where we blog on gratitude, blessings, etc from the past year, talking about aspect of gratitude each day.

"The LORD hath done great things for us; whereof we are glad."
Psalm 126:3

Today's assignment? What does gratitude mean to me?

I've been thinking a lot about gratitude lately - it's hard not to when the theme for my blog this month is giving thanks.

Yet as I confessed to my friend recently, I kind of wish I hadn't chosen to do that.
It can be hard to post on thankfulness if I'm not feeling particularly thankful, or joyful.

She told me that if I felt that way I probably needed to be posting on it.
That it was good for me.
Probably true - the things that are hard usually are very good for us.

So back to what does gratitude mean......

To me it means choosing joy.

Finding things to be thankful for in every situation.....and choosing to give thanks for them.

Seeing the Lord's hand in all that happens, knowing that He is working it all for good, and thanking Him.

It means even when life hurts.

When I'm lonely.

When I'm afraid.

When people let me down.

I must learn to give thanks and trust the Lord, believe that He is doing all things well.


"Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:
 Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.
 The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places."
Habakkuk 3:17-19


To me it also means remembering:

The Bible tells us so often to remember, remember, remember -

all that the Lord has done for us,

past mercies,

blessings,

answered prayers,

promises,

the ways He has provided....."Hitherto hath the Lord helped us."


"And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee....."


 "Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God...."


"But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God...."


"Remember the LORD..."


"Remember that thou magnify his work, which men behold."


"I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old."


"If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth..."


"Remember the word that I said unto you..."


"Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast..."

(verses from Deuteronomy 8, Nehemiah 4, Job 36, Psalms 77,137, John 15, and Revelation 3)

Remember to give thanks in everything.


Sharing with Thankful Thursday, Thought Provoking Thursday, Greathings, Gratitude Challenge, Becoming A Strong Woman of God,  Women of Noble Character,  Koinonia,  Wise Women link up,  Raising Might Arrows,  30 Days of Thankfulness, Serenity Now, and Homemaker by Choice.


Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1