Thursday, December 22, 2011

Comparisons....


Last Wednesday night after prayer meeting I had an experience that got me thinking, and that I couldn't get out of my head for awhile afterwards....That night a homeless man came by the church looking for help. Not an uncommon occurrence for us, but this time I was nearby and heard the conversation with him. Hearing about the way he lived made me think about the relativity of all our situations. I tend to have a very bad habit of comparing myself to others which I know is wrong, the Bible even says it is not wise. But I'll look at other women my age who have husbands, children, homes,.....and compare them to my circumstances. I don't have those things, and it gets tempting to ask, 'why?' Going down that road always leads to trouble, maybe to covertness, or fear, or complaining. It doesn't lead to thankfulness for all I have, to trusting the Lord, to depending on Him to take care of me, or most of all to the truth that He gives just what we need, what is perfect for each one of us. I'm very much writing at myself here.















Then I wondered why we I always compare myself to those better off  than myself. Unlike a  homeless person last night I slept in a real bed, in a heated house, and got up this morning to hot coffee and breakfast. I have work to do which I enjoy, and which provides my needs, I have people to love, people who love me, and most of all a Father in heaven who will never leave me. Compared to the man I saw I'm rich! That made me think of this quote I recently read in Matthew Henry:


"True religion is the true treasure of any prince or people; it denominates them rich. Those places that have plenty of Bibles, and ministers, and serious good people, are really rich; and it contributes to that which makes a nation rich in this world."


 It all depends on how you look at things, and what you consider to be riches. And I also realized there will always be somebody worse off (and for that matter, someone better off) than me, somebody that I can pray for, or maybe be a help to in some other way. But as Jesus said:


 "...Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1