Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mount Zion.....

We sang these verses in family worship this morning which reminded me of this post I had sitting in my drafts folder so I went back and read it, then decided to share. I hope it's a comfort and blessing to you too.....


“They that trust in the Lord shall be as Mount Zion, which cannot be removed but abideth for ever. As the mountains are around Jerusalem so the Lord is round about His people from henceforth even for ever.” 
 Psalm 125:1-2


Rainbow Mountain, BC
 


"Throughout the Bible we often find that the Holy Spirit uses natural figures to illustrate profound spiritual truths and realities. In the words of our text the Church of God, or individual believers, are, in their faith and constancy, compared to Mount Zion, while God Himself in His nearness and protecting power, is compared to the mountains which shelter and surround Jerusalem. Let us look at these words for a moment. Let us consider:

 This trust in the Lord on the part of His people is all-inclusive. If we are of this number we commit into God’s hand not only our persons, but also our times and destiny, and all our cares within the sphere of providence. “Into thine hand I commit my spirit.” “Casting all your care upon Him for He careth for you.” “My times are in Thy hand.” “I have set the Lord always before me.” “I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.” Such words as these show that they commit themselves wholly and for ever into His hand, “as into the hands of a faithful Creator.”

The trust of God’s people is preeminently in His Word or promise, for the Lord Himself is present in the Word in which they trust. God and His Word are identical. There can be no trust in the one without trust in the other. Those who are His are given “exceeding great and precious promises”, and it is of the nature of the true Christian life that God often seals His promises, both in relation to His providence and grace, on their hearts and minds. Although all the promises are the heritage of God’s elect, God often makes a personal application of His Word to their souls. And it may often happen that circumstances emerge in their life which seem to nullify His promise. David, in fear and trembling, once asked the question: “Lord, where is Thy former loving kindness which Thou swarest unto David in Thy truth?” “Hath the Lord forgotten to be gracious?” 


 But whatever clouds may overshadow our lives, God’s covenant bow of promise is never absent from our sky. How often do we tremble in our nights of trial, but “hitherto hath the Lord helped us.” And the God of yesterday is the God of today and of the future. “This God is our God for ever and ever: He will be our guide even unto death.” Such a blessed assurance as this should strengthen our faith and provide us with a song in the night.



Whatever contrary storms, therefore, may break in upon their lives, God’s people “cannot be moved”. “Their heart is fixed trusting in the Lord.” Christ, their Rock and Stay, is the foundation of all their hope. And “the foundation of the Lord standeth sure, having this seal, the Lord knoweth them that are His.” 




Think also of the all-availing intercession of our great High Priest which surrounds His people always. In heaven He is making continual intercession for us.....God hears Him always. On earth He prayed, “Father, I will that they also whom thou hast given me be with me where I am, that they may behold my glory which thou hast given me, for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.” These words shall continue to rise, like incense before God until the last of His people arrives in His presence. His intercession is the secret of their preservation. This is what we discover in His words to Peter. “Simon, Simon, Satan hath desired to have you that he may sift you as wheat, but I have prayed for thee that thy faith fail not.” That prayer Peter never heard, but he knew from that hour where his safety lay. It is good to pray for one another, and to have a place in the prayers of God’s people; but the true believer rises higher than the help of mere man. He trusts in the Lord. “I have prayed for thee.” When a godly woman was once asked by her friends if they would remember her in their prayers she simply said: “Prayer is being made for me above.” She valued their prayers but her hope had risen beyond them to the very throne of God."


Sharing with Titus 2sdays, and Growing Home.




Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1