Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Giving away your heart....

Long time blog readers know I love the story of Hinds Feet on High Places, that it's one of my favorite books. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's an allegory similar to Pilgrims' Progress in which a young woman, Much Afraid, makes a journey to the High Places, based off the verse Habakkuk 3:19. This section that I shared below from the chapter Grave on the Mountain has been very much on my mind the last couple days as I think of the struggle to give up my own heart and desires to the Lord.




Sorrow and Suffering, Much Afraid's companions on her journey.

"...She awoke suddenly because she knew someone had called her. She waited in silence, then a Voice said, "Much Afraid."
"Behold me, here I am my Lord," she answered.

"Much Afraid," said the Voice, "Take now the promise you received when I called you to follow me to the High Places, and take the natural longings for human love which you found already growing in your heart when I planted my own love there and go up into the mountains to the place that I show you. Offer them there as a burnt offering unto me."

(The story goes on to share how she reels at this request, how she contemplates giving up, but ultimately decided to obey, reaching the point of feeling 'neither despair nor hope.' )


"....She felt noting but a great stillness in which only one desire remained, to do that which he had told her, simply because he had asked it of her. The cold dull desolation which had filled her heart in the cave was gone completely; one flame burned there steadily, the flame of concentrated desire to do his will. Everything else had died down and fallen into ashes.

....After she had waited for awhile and he still had not come, she put out her hand and with one final effort of failing strength grasped the natural human love and desire growing in her heart and struggled to tear them out. At first touch it was as though anguish pierced through her every nerve and fiber, and she knew with a pang, almost of despair that the roots had wound and twined and thrust themselves into every part of her being. Though she put forth all her remaining strength in the most desperate effort to wrench them out, not a single rootlet stirred....."

(The Shepherd then comes and offers to take her heart out for her...)

"...Oh thank you, I beg you to do so, only I am a great coward. I am afraid the pain may cause me to try to resist you. Will you bind me in some way so that I cannot move? I would not like to be found struggling while the will of my Lord is done."

He bound her hand and foot. She then lifted her face towards the High Places, which were quite invisible, and spoke quietly through the mist, "My Lord, behold me - here I am in the place thou did send me to - doing the thing thou didst tell me to do, for where thou diest, I will die, and there will I be buried, the Lord do so to me, and more also, if anything but death part thee and me."

So there was silence, a silence as of the grave, for indeed she was in the grave of her own hopes and still without the promised hind's feet, still outside the High Places...this was the place which the long heartbreaking journey had led her. Yet once more before she laid it down on the alter she repeated the promise which had been the cause for her starting to the High Places. "The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places."
Hinds Feet On High Places
Hannah Hurnard




Sharing with  Proverbs 31 Thursdays,   Homemaker by Choice,Women Living Well, Raising Homemakers, Titus 2sdays,Wise Woman link up,  Growing Home  Far Above Rubies, The Better Mom ,My Inspiration Friday , Heavenly Homemakers, Making A Home,     A Holy Experience Women of Noble Character, Sharing the JourneyEncouraging One Another Thought Provoking ThursdayImperfect Prose Chatting at the Sky, Serenity Now,Best Post of the week, Caffeinated randomness,and Soli Deo Gloria


Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1