Thursday, January 26, 2012

In the kitchen...

Though I don't seem to talk about it much on this blog, along with reading, and babies, and blogging, cooking and simply working in the kitchen are things I've always enjoyed. I grew up cooking and baking for my family of 15, and now I do most of my cooking in the E''s kitchen. Over the past week I finally got around to trying some of the recipes I've been pinning on pinterest:-). These rolls were quite a hit - so easy, fast, and yummy!  My brother and I enjoyed some of them for lunch, and the rest went to friends. I posted on facebook that I was making them and two of  my other friends also decided to mix up a batch that day!

The granola recipe below looked and sounded so good that I had to try it. Emily, Beka, and I had fun mixing it up and getting creative with a couple ingredient substitutions. I'm looking forward to enjoying some for my breakfast:-)

30 Minute Rolls Recipe 

1 C plus 2 Tbsp warm water
 1/3 C oil 
2 Tbsp yeast
 1/4 C sugar 
1/2 tsp salt 
1 egg
 3 1/2 C flour
 Heat oven to 400 degrees. In your mixer bowl combine the water, oil, yeast and sugar and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Using your dough hook, mix in the salt, egg and flour. Knead with hook until will incorporated and dough is soft and smooth. (Just a few minutes) Form dough into 12 balls and then place in a greased 9 x 13 pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown.





Ingredients: 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats (use gluten free if your sensitive to gluten)
 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup sugar substitute of choice (I used real sugar)
1/2 tsp salt
 1 tsp baking powder
 3/4 cups pumpkin
 1/2 cup applesauce (I used homemade applebutter since we didn't have any applesauce)
 3 tablespoons sugar free maple syrup (or honey or agave nectar) (I used honey)
Optional add-ins: 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, 1 cup honey teddy grahams lightly crushed

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry using a spatula, (or your hands), until everything is well combined and oats are coated with wet ingredients.
 2. Place granola on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, then stir granola around. Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the granola is golden brown and is crisp. Take the granola out of the oven, and let it cool completely on the baking sheet. Stir in additional white chocolate chips or teddy grahams at this point if  desired. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1