Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Thou art my hiding place.....

I brought The Hiding Place along for vacation reading and read the whole thing over last week. It's a good book that shares  the story of the Ten Boom family and how they hid and helped Jews during World War 2. The title refers to both the physical hiding place where the ten Boom family secreted Jews from the Nazis, and also to the verse found in Psalm 119 which states, "Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word... "


Probably my favorite parts of the book were the two train stories I shared below, along with a couple other thoughts I liked as well:




"(From a ten year old child) “Father, what is sexsin?” He turned to look at me, as he always did when answering a question, but to my surprise he said nothing. At last he stood up, lifted his traveling case from the rack over our heads, and set it on the floor. “Will you carry it off the train, Corrie?” he said. “It's too heavy,” I said. “Yes,” he said. “And it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. It's the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you.” And I was satisfied. More than satisfied – wonderfully at peace. There were answers to this and all my hard questions. For now I was content to leave them in my father's keeping."


"I burst into tears, “I need you!” I sobbed. “You can't die! You can't!” “Corrie,” he began gently. “When you and I go to Amsterdam, when do I give you your ticket?” “Why, just before we get on the train.” “Exactly. And our wise Father in heaven knows when we're going to need things, too. Don't run out ahead of him, Corrie. When the time comes that some of us will have to die, you will look into your heart and find the strength you need – just in time.”


There are no 'if's' in God's kingdom. His timing is perfect. And no places that are safer than other places. The center of His will is our only safety. His will is our hiding place. Let us pray that we may always know it. “Lord Jesus, keep me in Your will. Don't let me go mad by poking about outside it.”


"Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see."








Share |

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed that book as well. I, too, want to stay in the Father's will and I loved your last comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Love the plaque. So true. So true. What a wise father Corrie ten Boom had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful and so true! His timing is perfect even if in our human minds we cannot comprehend it. Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of favourite books. Both of my in laws grew up in Holland during the war. My husband's great uncle was one of the leaders of the resistance. It is amazing to hear the stories during that time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1