Friday, January 27, 2012

Walking with the Lord....

The other day  I was shocked to see on facebook that someone that I know, from what now seems like another life, had died. As I read the announcement and all the comments from this person's friends it made me sad. There was no mention of the Lord, of where she was now, of hope of any kind. It got me thinking though, wondering what would be said if that was me, about how we never know which day might be our last, but most of all of the need to stay close to the Lord.

I think staying close to the Lord and realizing that I have my own walk with Him was one of the biggest lessons I learned over the past year. That I'm not my parents, my siblings, my friends, I'm not responsible for what others do, but for my actions, for my choices. That I can't control what other people do, but I can control my reactions to them. This section below taken from Francine River's Lineage of Grace has stayed with me ever since I first read it years ago:


Source: images.google.com via Stefanie on Pinterest

"When fear threatened to overwhelm her, she set her mind upon  the Lord, comforting herself with the thoughts of what God had already done for her. She sang Psalms to her son  - and clung to the promises in them. And every time she did these things, she felt an inner peace. The Lord was her shield, her deliverer, the lifter of her soul. Not her husband. He was only the man she loved, not the God she now worshiped.....Two years of suffering had awakened her. And so, she went down on her knees daily, bending her head to the floor each morning when she first awakened so that she could thank God for His blessings, and ask for His guidance. She prayed constantly that God would protect her husband and give him wisdom.....She was no longer a child filled with dreams, but a woman tempered by hardship and sorrow....when she lay down at night.....she praised God for all the day had held, both good and bad.

Every time her husband would add another wife or concubine to his harem the hurt would rise in her again. But she learned not to expect perfect love from him, for to have those expectations only increased her suffering. She refused to give in to the emotions tearing at her heart and remembered the source of  love. She turned her attention to God and His faithfulness to his people. She loved her husband, and she could still feel suffering, betrayal, confusion, and loneliness. 
But she was no longer in despair, no longer without hope. The Lord God of Israel taught her about love, faithfulness, forgiveness, provision, protection, peace, and compassion. Every time somone wounded her, she turned to God for healing and comfort. And the Lord was always there. For His love was perfect."
~ Unspoken by Francine Rivers


I love how she responds to suffering and that's the reaction I wish I always saw in myself when I have to deal with pain, letdowns, hardships and disappointments. It's a comfort to know that all the promises she speaks of are true for all those who love the Lord.

"Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.
 The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.
 All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
 For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great.
 What man is he that feareth the LORD? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.
 His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth.
 The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.
 Mine eyes are ever toward the LORD; for he shall pluck my feet out of the net."
Psalm 25:8-15

Sharing with  Homemaker By Choice Growing Home  and  Weekend Whatever.



Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1