Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wise children...


Sometimes I have a post that comes very much from my heart. Those are the ones that I find it very hard to click on the publish button. It makes me feel vulnerable putting so much of myself 'out there' and also scares me that someone who doesn't know me in real life might think from my writing that I have it all together. Let me tell you, I don't. I'm imperfect. I struggle. I cry. I write, and talk at myself, and even get talked at by loved ones when I need it! But when the Lord helps me, teaches me, shows me things - I want to share. That's what this blog is about, sharing the things that have helped and encouraged, and sometimes excited me, in my walk with the Lord. This post was one of those that I was scared to publish....


Source: google.com via Stefanie on Pinterest


.....It's on our Lord's day morning's sermon  preached on 2 Timothy 3:15: "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus." In many ways it was directed at the numerous children and parents in our congregation. I found myself feeling blessed that we have a pastor who cares so much about the souls of the little ones....and I would highly recommend this as one your family could listen to together. 


Yet at the same time I have to confess that sermons like this leave me feeling sad and wistful - I pray for the day when the Lord gives me my own children to love and teach. But as Pastor was speaking on how all of us have someone, or many 'someones' looking up to us and watching us I realized something which changed my feelings. Or perhaps I should say the Lord showed me something.....but I stopped and thought about my situation. The Lord has placed me in a church with dozens of young children and given me various opportunities over the past years of helping with different ones. But most of all He's put me in a family with seven children whom I love very much. It hit me -  
He has given me children. 
Not in the normal way, but for now they are a huge part of my life. I was given a new resolve, with the Lord's help, to do my best, to focus on this responsibility, to invest in, and pray for them. I realized I could embrace this season and give it my best. Or someday I can look back on it and see that I wasted a lot of time and energy that could have been spent in God's service, on longing for tomorrow and all that it held. Even looking back now I can see so much that God has taught me in this time, about Himself, about living in a Christian family, and what that means, ways of serving Him, and on and on. That's not to say I don't still want a family of my own, that I won't pray for that, or even ever feel sad, or cry - if I said any of those things I wouldn't be being honest, but I'm thankful God gave me a different way of looking at this, and that - for now - he has blessed me with family.

I should also say that there was so much more to the sermon than what I just shared. It was a blessing in many ways for many people and I hope you can listen.



Sharing with Emotions on TuesdaysHomemaker By Choice, Handful of Heart Monday Proverbs 31 Thursdays,  Women Living Well, Raising Homemakers, Titus 2sdays,Wise Woman link up,  Growing Home  Far Above Rubies, My Inspiration Friday , Heavenly Homemakers, Making A Home,   A Holy Experience Women of Noble Character,  Encouraging One Another Thought Provoking Thursday,, Serenity NowBest Post of the week,Word Filled Wednesday, A Handful of HeartThe Better Mom,  Imperfect Prose,, Welcome HomeHope in every seasonGraceful, On Your heart Tuesday, Weekly Blog Hop, Thankful Thursday, Finding Graceand Soli Deo Gloria



Share |

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up, Stefanie! I enjoyed your recap of this sermon. I am thankful there is a community of faith that surrounds my children and helps me as I raise them. I think often about Hilary Clinton's words, "It takes a village". While I am not a huge fan of hers, I am painfully aware, since leaving our church in 2010, that the village fills in so many gaps in our children's lives. The children of your church are very blessed to have you in their lives.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1