Saturday, April 21, 2012

All the days of her life....

"She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life."
Proverbs 31:12



Lately I've been thinking a lot about this verse in Proverbs 31. It struck me awhile back when reading this chapter that  'all the days of her life' refers to even  now before I'm married.... Obviously there has been a lot written and said on this for the married woman, but how does it apply to the single woman, or the woman who finds herself where I am today - engaged? How can I live it?

One thought that immediately came to mind was of course purity.....and there's been plenty written on that topic by others so I'm speaking more of the heart here, not giving my heart away to different men in various relationships, but waiting to give it to the man whom the Lord has chosen to be my husband. Actually what I just shared was a prayer of mine for years......Another would be to simply be praying for him, even if you don't know who he is yet, he can still be prayed for. I think started praying for my future husband when I was about 15.

Then I went on to see what Matthew Henry said on the subject. He puts it much better than I ever could so I'll share some of his thoughts below and I hope they'll be helpful to all of you no matter what place in life you find yourself today -

---------


"She makes it her constant business to do him good, and is afraid of doing any thing, even through inadvertency, that may turn to his prejudice. She shows her love to him, not by a foolish fondness, but by prudent endearments, accommodating herself to his temper, and not crossing him, giving him good words, and not bad ones, no, not when he is out of humour, studying to make him easy, to provide what is fit for him both in health and sickness, and attending him with diligence and tenderness when any thing ails him; nor would she, no, not for the world, wilfully do any thing that might be a damage to his person, family, estate, or reputation......


And this is her care all the days of her life; not at first only, or now and then, when she is in a good humour, but perpetually; and she is not weary of the good offices she does him.


 He conducts herself so that he may repose an entire confidence in her. He trusts in her chastity, which she never gave him the least occasion to suspect or to entertain any jealousy of; she is not morose and reserved, but modest and grave, and has all the marks of virtue in her countenance and behaviour; her husband knows it, and therefore his heart doth safely trust in her; he is easy, and makes her so. He trusts in her conduct, that she will speak in all companies, and act in all affairs, with prudence and discretion, so as not to occasion him either damage or reproach. When he goes abroad, to attend the concerns of the public, he can confide in her to order all his affairs at home, as well as if he himself were there. She is a good wife that is fit to be trusted, and he is a good husband that will leave it to such a wife to manage for him.

He thinks himself so happy in her that he envies not those who have most of the wealth of this world; he needs it not, he has enough, having such a wife. Happy the couple that have such a satisfaction as this in each other."


Matthew Henry




Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1