This was sent to me a long time ago by a dear friend who now happens to be my sister in law! It was one of my very first blog posts back in 2009 and reading through it recently I decided it deserved reposting for all my new readers :-) I hope like me, you'll find this to be a blessing to read through, as we all try to be the women the Lord has called us to be.
This is the description of a virtuous woman of those days, but the general outlines equally suit every age and nation. She is very careful to recommend herself to her husband's esteem and affection, to know his mind, and is willing that he rule over her.
1. She can be trusted, and he will leave such a wife to manage for him. He is happy in her. And she makes it her constant business to do him good.
2. She is one that takes pains in her duties, and takes pleasure in them. She is careful to fill up time, that none be lost. She rises early. She applies herself to the business proper for her, to women's business. She does what she does, with all her power, and trifles not.
3. She makes what she does turn to good account by prudent management. Many undo themselves by buying, without considering whether they can afford it. She provides well for her house. She lays up for hereafter.
4. She looks well to the ways of her household, that she may oblige all to do their duty to God and one another, as well as to her.
5. She is intent upon giving as upon getting, and does it freely and cheerfully.
6. She is discreet and obliging; every word she says, shows she governs herself by the rules of wisdom. She not only takes prudent measures herself, but gives prudent advice to others. The law of love and kindness is written in the heart, and shows itself in the tongue. Her heart is full of another world, even when her hands are most busy about this world.
7. Above all, she fears the Lord. Beauty recommends none to God, nor is it any proof of wisdom and goodness, but it has deceived many a man who made his choice of a wife by it. But the fear of God reigning in the heart, is the beauty of the soul; it lasts for ever.
8. She has firmness to bear up under crosses and disappointments. She shall reflect with comfort when she comes to be old, that she was not idle or useless when young. She shall rejoice in a world to come. She is a great blessing to her relations. If the fruit be good, the tree must have our good word. But she leaves it to her own works to praise her. Every one ought to desire this honour that cometh from God; and according to this standard we all ought to regulate our judgments.
This description let all women daily study, who desire to be truly beloved and respected, useful and honourable.
Sharing with Modest Mondays, Emotions on Tuesdays, Homemaker By Choice, Handful of Heart Monday, Proverbs 31 Thursdays, Women Living Well, Raising Homemakers, Titus 2sdays,Wise Woman link up, Growing Home, Far Above Rubies, My Inspiration Friday , Heavenly Homemakers, Making A Home, A Holy Experience, Women of Noble Character, Encouraging One Another, Thought Provoking Thursday,, Serenity Now, Best Post of the week, Word Filled Wednesday, A Handful of Heart, The Better Mom, Painting Prose, Welcome Home, Graceful, On Your heart Tuesday,Beautiful Mommy Feet, Soli Deo Gloria, Just Write, Our Simple Country Life, YLFC March of Books, Thankful Homemaker, and Good Morning Girls.