Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls

I'm up in Virginia now visiting family, and one visit tradition is that I always have to bake these cinnamon rolls for my brother, Caleb. They're his favorite, and no one else minds helping to eat them either :-) I posted this a long time ago, but have had so many requests for the recipe, I thought I would repost. Lord willing, this will be our evening snack/dessert after another busy day of working on wedding plans :-)


Overnight Dough

2 packages yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp salt
3 eggs
5 cups flour

Mix all ingredients, beat till smooth. Cover and chill overnight, then shape, let rise till doubled, and bake as desired. (This makes great bread or rolls too. Put in the fridge early in the morning, and bake for dinner. Super easy!)

Roll out the dough in a large rectangle, about 12" X 15" (bear with me here, this is my own recipe and I am writing from memory, I just do quantities by eye!). Then brush with about 1/3 cup of melted butter, sprinkle with sugar, and cinnamon, as much as you like. Roll up the dough, slice, and place the rolls in a 13 x 9" pan. Makes 12 to 15 depending on how thick you slice them. Let rise in a warm oven until doubled, about half an hour. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Then mix 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, and enough milk to make a glaze. Pour over the hot buns and serve. Yum:-)


Here is another variation to the recipe -

Brown sugar syrup

Boil together 1/4 cup of butter, 2 tablespoons of water, and 1 cup of brown sugar for 1 minute. Pour into a 13 x 9" pan, sprinkle with nuts if desired, then place buns in the syrup. Let rise, bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, then invert onto a platter (Skip the powdered sugar glaze). I don't know which of these variations is my favorite!






Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Intense Debate Comments

"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:6,8-1